Staying Well During the Holiday Season – 2020 Edition
News | Posted on 23rd Dec 2020
This time of year can be challenging for many, so as always we are sharing some resources and links that you can refer to if you feel like you are struggling.
Some articles and websites that might help you know you are not alone and remind you of some things you can do to look after your mental health:
- 11 ways to reduce your worries and improve your wellbeing this holiday season – from Black Dog Institute
- The National Mental Health Commission have launched #MakingTime, an initiative co-produced with those with lived experience that is encouraging people to share their stories about what helps in the difficult moments. Why not add yours? “What are you #MakingTime for this summer?”
- When having no family affects your mental health during the holidays – a personal story from The Mighty
- Coping with Christmas – ‘For many people, the festive season is an exciting time to connect with others and celebrate. But for others, it can be the most stressful time of the year’ – an article from Beyond Blue
- Are you not sure what burnout is and whether you might be experiencing it? This article from the ABC explains burnout and provides some coping tips.
Services that are available 24 hours a day:
- Lifeline – 13 11 14 – or the Lifeline Crisis Text service is available 6pm-midnight, 0477 13 11 14
- Beyond Blue – 1300 22 4636
- Connections Western Sydney Helpline – 1300 096 273 – telephone counselling service
- Visit Mind Guide to locate support services in your area
- Clevertar is an app that will help people learn about managing their anxiety and depression. It’s free from the App Store or Google Play, just use the code word ‘wentwest’ to access it.
Don’t forget you can refer to these links and others on our Where to get help page and this great list on Beyond Blue too. If you need help, we encourage you to reach out to these services.
Western Sydney Recovery College will be closed from Thursday 24 December and will reopen on Monday 11 January 2021.
We look forward to seeing you in the new year.